Thursday 10 February 2011

Interview with Techno DJ & Producer, Rebekah







From South America to Australia, Hong Kong to Russia,  it's fair to say DJ/Producer Rebekah
is fairly well travelled!  She's played in some of the top nightclubs in the world including Space and Cocoon and countless others.  Not to mention playing live on MTV in front of 5000 people.  It's a life that only most of us can only dream of but one things for sure, this gorgeous lady is hard working, admirable, determined and deserves every bit of success. 






As part of a new monthly series of interviews with successful women from all backgrounds, she kindly agreed to do an interview with me - showing just what a top girl she is.  We discuss our first meet, her favourite places in the world, discovering new fashion labels, new releases, what the future has in store and red lipstick......

Enjoy!

CA: What moment did you realise you wanted to become a DJ?

Rebekah: After clubbing for a few months and going to some amazing parties at the Que Club in Birmingham back in the 90’s, I knew that was what I wanted to do.

CA: You've been a DJ for a long time, as you know the industry is fairly male dominated - how hard has it been for you as a woman, or not perhaps?

Rebekah: There are equal opportunities for men and women as long as you put the work in and give something back to the industry, generally in the form of music production.

CA: I'm a big fan and remember meeting you for the first time at The Key in Kings Cross (I had come especially to see you play), overall do you get a good vibe from the girls and words of encouragement?

Rebekah: I tend to buzz more when the girls are feeling what I do, techno music has an army of male admirers but in recent years it has become far more accessible for females. (Aww you and your girlies made my night at The Key)

CA: Describe your average weekend

Rebekah: Playing gigs over the weekend is generally where you will find me! I do tend to fit as much into the weekend as possible, Saturday afternoon I will meet with girlfriends and then go the studio to go through some last minute tunes for the gigs. Sundays I like to go and eat or relax after drinking far too many red bulls!!


CA: Favourite place to play in the world and why?

Rebekah: Ahhh so many! Fabric was amazing last year, the sound and booth in room 1 is just lush and the crowd you can really experiment with. But…in my heart the best parties I have played have been at Public Life for Lost Souls Techno Club. So intimate with a big room atmosphere, it’s like a little big club you can fit in your pocket and treasure.

CA: Describe your fashion style

Rebekah: Comfortable, I am always on the go so heels as a rule are not an option. I love trainers and flat boots for djing and general bouncing around. Skinny jeans, leather jackets, vest tops. Effortless really! Also a dash of red lipstick makes any outfit come to life! 



CA: Your favourite high street stores and designers

Rebekah: Topshop for throw away fashion items, All Saints for some key pieces and jackets. I was just introduced to Mark Fast recently - he does these 80's inspired constructed knitted dresses which I have completely fallen in love with.

CA: Any good beauty tips for us girls?

Rebekah: For late nights Clarins Beauty Flash balm, Optrex Sparkling Eye Dew to keep your peepers bright and don’t forget the before mentioned red lipstick!

CA: Tell me what you're up to at the moment - new releases, any interesting gigs coming up? I'm sure you have an exciting year ahead?

Rebekah: Gig wise I am back at Public Life on the 26/2, I have an Asia Tour planned for March touring Thailand and Indonesia. I have a release coming out on Dubfire's imprint Sci+Tec in April.


For further information please check out www.myspace.com/djrebekah & www.facebook.com/rebekah.music (for all latest shows & music)


No comments:

Post a Comment