Thursday 17 March 2011

Japan - Spare a thought



My heart goes out to Japan at this terrible time.

I've been consumed by all the events and sadly we decided today that we have no choice but to cancel our trip.  We were due to leave in a couple of weeks for our trip of a lifetime that I have spent the last year planning - to the point I even have a huge map on my kitchen wall pinpointing our route.  I've spent the last few days trying to convince myself that everything will be sorted and that we will be safe out there, I just didn't want to let go of it and there have been a few tears.  We now feel we have no option but to postpone until next year, friends and family will be worried for us and things are not looking good because of the radiation issue.

I've felt so torn - in one sense thinking its best to give this great country peace and respect and stay away at a time like this yet on the other hand feeling I would be letting people down because they need us to visit and spend our money.   I had arranged a stay with the Buddhist Monks in two separate temples in Kyoto for five days, the first to study Zen Buddhism which was to focus on meditation and self reflection and the second to stay within the temple lodgings.  I now have to email these kind people to explain I won't be coming - I feel terrible.  My mum said that she was sure they would be okay and that they would have enough on their plate at the moment, which is very true.  However I will be making a donation to both temples and explain that I hope to be with them next year.

We were due to finish our trip in Tokyo and I was even hoping to spend a couple of days doing some voluntary work of some kind but the way it's looking at the moment we might not even be allowed to fly there.

I shouldn't complain because in the grand scheme of things my three week holiday is completely irrelevant so I'm sending positive thoughts to the people of Japan and I look forward to the day I do finally make it there to embrace a culture that is so interesting, respectful and historical.

Big love to Japan
x

No comments:

Post a Comment